Sunday 17 November 2013

NANOWRIMO UPDATE


I mentioned a few days ago that I was restarting my nanowrimo because the original idea I had really wasn't working.

BEST. DECISION. OF MY LIFE.

I wrote more in the first 3 days of this new story than I had in the entire time I was writing the old story, and as of today I have surpassed 25k words and am now only 1715 words behind, which I can easily catch up on.

I'm also have far more fun with this story than I was with my old one. Mostly because this one is much lighter and the characters are far more diverse and less serious.

I'm procrastinating from drawing so here's a rundown of what my new story is about:


  • Set in a post-apocalyptic, futuristic society in approximately the 24th Century (still working out the details). About a century and a half ago there was a nuclear war over a power source called 'the vore'. Since then, humanity has rebuild to a point where they are about technologically equal with what we are now, but large areas of the world have been reduced to a barren wasteland.
  • There are groups of people known as 'otherworlders' (placeholder until I think of a less cliched name) who, in the wake of the war, accidentally absorbed the remaining vore energy in the world, granting them supernatural abilities. They have been exiled from society and are considered dangerous and hostile.
  • The story revolves around a character who is a blank slate. She has very little basis for knowing who is good or evil, she is at a point in her life where both sides of the impending 'war' have arguments that sound appealing and morally correct, and she doesn't know what to believe any more.
  • The story starts with the character going on a mission at the command of a mysterious otherworlder who has kidnapped her friend and is holding her for 'ransom', so to speak. She will only be released when the FMC kills a man living on the other side of the wasteland and steals a mysterious orb in his possession for her.
  • The story will then, hopefully, devolve into something concerning the otherworlders/humans (I won't give too much away about what the whole conflict is about).
  • The story itself is a mix of sci-fi and post-apoc genres, but I'm throwing in things like zombies just to keep the action flowing and amuse myself xD
  • There are three main characters so far. Sloane, a mechanic and a party girl who has never taken anything seriously in her life. She is tough, tomboyish, not the brightest light in the house, and fairly morally ambiguous. Darian, a kleptomaniac fry cook who has fallen into things that are way over his head, and Hackner, a gruff mercenary with a grudge against the man Sloane has been asked to kill.
  • I am using this story to indulge my love of neon hair colours. Yay for futuristic worldbuilding~

So far I'm quite happy with the dialogue and some of the descriptions I've got down. My main concern is the plot and pacing. I feel like I have far too many events and that I'm dragging them on too much for the sake of filling up more words. I'm 25k in and she's still doing the first mission she was sent on!

But I'm gonna keep trundling along, because as the motto for Nanowrimo states: editing is for after.



(going to Waiting For Godot tomorrow - I can't wait! :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment