Wednesday 16 October 2013

I waste my life writing fanfic

Sometimes I look back at this year and last year and think that I haven't been very productive in terms of writing (unlike 2010-2011 when I was working on three original stories, and finished two of them).

Apart from the Major Work and the town story, I only started a couple of other projects and didn't get very far in any of them.

But just then I counted up the total words in all of the drabbles (fanfiction) that I've been filling in on the h/c bingo for my own amusement over the last year or so.

84, 819 words.

That's almost 300 pages of random crackfic. For no one's eyes but my own because most of it is terrible.

On the one hand, I'm thinking, yay, I've been vaguely productive after all, and at least I've been getting in some good practice with action/dialogue (and attempting different writing styles and perspectives in some of them).

On the other hand... that's 84k words I could have spent on an original work!

Much as I enjoy fanfiction and think it's a great way to prompt people, especially teenagers, into reading and writing more... when it comes down to it it's really good for nothing but your own amusement and occasionally that of others you share it with.

After the HSC I'm going to do NaNoWriMo for the first time in three years. Hopefully this will get me back into writing my own original stuff.

(On another note, everyone claims that you only improve your writing by writing something every day, so hopefully this has been subconsciously helping me....?)


No comments:

Post a Comment